Monday, March 11, 2013

Next Life

To kick off our tour of Cambodia and Vietnam, my father and I decided to start out big: exploring the temples of Angkor. This massive area in the western part of Cambodia was the original seat of the Khmer empire and is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the world's largest religious monument, and the site of historical and cultural significance in Cambodia and, arguably, in all of Southeast Asia.

We hired a car and a tour guide (I love getting to splash out now that Dad is here. Hello, rose and lemongrass martini.) and set off exploring on Dad's first full day in country. Just to make sure he would really feel the jetlag, it was - as always in SEA - miserably hot by approximately 11am and a hellish inferno by 1pm.


Despite the oppressive heat, we managed to explore quite a few temples over the two days we had our tour guide. From intricate narrative carvings, to temples of thousand faces overlooking the area, to jungle temples with trees entwined as part of the landscape, to taking in the mass of the famous Angkor Wat, I think it's safe to say I can call myself a tomb raider. (Fact: Angelina Jolie's Tomb Raider was filled over two months in the temples of Angkor. I know this to be true because our guide said this fifty thousand times, and Cambodia in general is fairly obsessed with that fact as well. As Dad and I have not seen that movie, we can neither confirm nor deny.) It's also safe to say that by the time I get back, I'll probably have bug spray permanently affixed to my skin. My hypochondria has kicked in big time, you guys.



As we wandered the temples, we also chatted with our guide about his life and experiences. One of the things that struck me the most was how he would often say "Next life!" with regards to a specific experience he had not had. I'm not sure if he was being glib about it, or as a man living in a Buddhist country, referring to a deep-seated religious belief.

Either way, the things he had never experienced but hoped to in his next life, if his karma sticks out, ranged from amusing to thought-provoking.

"Do you get snow in your home town?" [Exclaims over a photo my dad shows him of 3 inches of snow outside the house] "Ooh! I never seen snow! Next life."

"Those apartments over there [really gorgeous three-story townhouses] are very expensive. $11,000 a year! Next life."

"How long was your flight here? THIRTY HOURS?! Wow! I never take a flight before. Next life." 

[In response to my dad's question if he has ever been out of Cambodia, such as to Thailand, which is an easy bus ride away] "No, all my money saved to pay for kids' schools. I never leave Cambodia. Next life. 

[After asking if we would come back to Cambodia and in response to my dad saying he should come to the United States] "Next life, I will be BORN in the United States!" 

Needless to say, it was a humbling experience. I'm sure I will have more to say about the challenges of being seen as a walking ATM but also about understanding more about the incredible poverty modern-day Cambodians face, on the heels of the horrors the country has experienced so recently. But even this side-comment by the guide had me thinking about both the privilege I have by simple virtue of where I was born, and also the importance of doing what is possible in this life with what I have been given. Considering those things include watching the sunrise over Angkor Wat, I am a lucky girl indeed.



No comments:

Post a Comment